Secrets to Finding a Great IT Consultant – Part Eight
Being a computer consultant is about more than just fixing computers. It’s about helping a business run smoothly and efficiently. It’s about improving productivity, boosting profits and elevating your customer service efforts.
How can a consultant do all these things without truly understanding the nature of your business? The answer is simple: they can’t. A person can’t be qualified to recommend solutions without first understanding the problems.
It’s hard to underestimate the importance of this demand. You could have found the most brilliant technician; but if he doesn’t understand the nature of your business or lacks the right business skills, you won’t get the most from your technology investments. That’s why it’s critical to find a technician who either has substantial experience in your industry or is willing to spend the time to learn about the inner workings of your business.
Here are nine questions to ask yourself to determine if your technician is truly a business partner, or just a “computer mechanic”:
• Do they dig to uncover the source of the problem, or do they only look to fix the immediate issue?
• Do they ask thoughtful questions to understand your business processes and discuss workflow with your employees?
• Do they explain how their recommendations will improve your bottom line and speed production, or do they just recommend technology that is “cool”?
• Do they offer training?
• Are they proactive in recommending solutions, or do they wait for you to ask?
• Do they explain their recommendations in simple terms that you can understand, or do they talk over your head using acronyms and terms that don’t make sense?
• Do they meet with you quarterly to review your strategic business plans and goals?
• Do they provide case studies of how they helped other businesses achieve strategic, competitive advantages or increases in sales, profitability, and production?
• Do they follow up on their work to make sure you are satisfied?
Successful business owners know that a big part of success is choosing the right support team. Knowing the right questions to ask yourself about your IT technician goes a long way in ensuring that your IT is one area of your business that you don’t have to worry about.
Note: This content is based on an excerpt of “The Search for Hassle-Free IT” book. Request your FREE copy.